Remote Interpreting Service
British Sign Language (BSL) and Irish Sign Language (ISL) users
Interpreting service for British Sign Language (BSL) and Irish Sign Language (ISL) users in Northern Ireland
This service is a free remote interpreting service for British Sign Language (BSL) and Irish Sign Language (ISL) users in Northern Ireland, via the Interpreter Now App and Video Relay Service.
It provides the Deaf community in NI with access to:
- NHS111 services during the COVID-19 pandemic via a video relay system.
- All other Health and Social Care services including GPs via either a video relay system or video remote interpreting.
Access to NHS111 during the COVID-19 pandemic
To contact NHS111, please visit: www.interpreternow.co.uk/nhs111ni
This is a Video Relay System that enables Deaf people to telephone NHS111 via a remote BSL or ISL interpreter.
How it works:
- The Deaf person contacts an Interpreter via Interpreter Now app using a smartphone or tablet, or via the secure video link using a PC.
- Once connected, the interpreter telephones NHS111 on the Deaf person’s behalf.
Access to all other Health and Social Care services
To contact all other Health and Social Care services please visit: www.interpreternow.co.uk/hscni
This service can be used to contact:
- Northern Ireland GPs and GP Out of Hours Services
- Hospitals for inpatient or outpatient queries (including independent / private hospitals)
- All health services – e.g. a dentist, optician, optometrist, community pharmacy, etc.
- All social care services – e.g. a social work team, day centre, residential or nursing home (including independent / private care facilities commissioned by HSC), etc.
- Ambulance services
- The Northern Ireland COVID19 Community Helpline: 0808 802 0020
This enables Deaf people to communicate with a Health and Social Care service provider via a either a Video Relay or Video Remote Interpreting service.
Video Relay Interpreting
The Deaf person, the interpreter, and the Health and Social Care service provider can all be in different locations.
- The Interpreter Now app is downloaded to a smartphone or tablet. Or via the secure video link using a PC.
- The Deaf person contacts the interpreter via the Interpreter Now app, using their smartphone or tablet, or via the secure video link using a computer.
- Once they are connected, the interpreter telephones the Health and Social Care service provider on the Deaf person’s behalf.
Video Remote Interpreting
This enables Deaf people to communicate with a Health and Social Care professional in person, via an online BSL or ISL video interpreter.
- The Deaf person and the Health and Social Care service provider are together in the same location.
- The interpreter is online via secure video link on a screen (e.g. a tablet, smart phone, or computer).
To ensure immediate access to telephone services at this time the Video Relay System will be introduced first.